Removing the cancer label in low risk conditions that are unlikely to cause harm if left untreated may help reduce overdiagnosis and overtreatment, argue Brooke Nickel and colleagues.
Renaming low risk conditions labelled as cancer. Nickel B, Moynihan R, Barratt A, Brito J, McCaffery J. BMJ 2018; 362:k3322
Extensive national and international media coverage following the release of this publication:
- MEL magazine. Is it time for doctors to update their definition of ‘cancer’? 24 August 2018.
- CTV News (Canada). Should doctors stop using the word ‘cancer’? 23 August 2018.
- Medicalnewser. Drop the c-word to reduce anxiety and overtreatment, experts say. 21 August 2018.
- The Breast Cancer Network News alert (sent to all BCN members). 21 August 2018.
- Patient Worthy. For low-risk thyroid cancers, doctors shouldn’t use the word “cancer”. 20 August 2018.
- Medpage Today. Removing the c-word from low-risk diseases – term often inconsistent with modern medicine. 17 August 2018.
- The BMJ Editor’s Choice. “Overdiagnosis and the cancer label.” 16 August 2018.
- Croakey Blog. Is it time to remove the cancer label from low-risk conditions? 13 August 2018.
- NewsMedical.net. Removing the cancer label – overhaul in cancer classification proposed. 14 August 2018.
- Science Daily. Medical testing: Drop the C-word to reduce anxiety and overtreatment. 14 August 2018.
- Medical Xpress. Medical testing: Drop the C-word to reduce anxiety and overtreatment, says experts. 14 August 2018.
- TribunNews (Indonesia). Doctors are asked to avoid cancer words if the risk is small. 14 August 2018.
- Hong Kong News. Australian research refers to the “cancer” flooding proposal to re-name the patient-free over-treatment. 14 August 2018.
- Other Australian newspapers + news outlets (Surat Basin Online (QLD), Blackwaterherald.com.au, South Burnet Times, Central Telegraph, Springfielddailyrecord.com.au, Centralnorthburnettimes.com.au, Whitsundaycoastguardian.com.au, Central Queensland News, Dalbyherald.com.au, Tweed Daily News, Byron Shire News, Chinchillanews.com.au, Ballina Shire Advocate, Balonnebeacon.com.au, Gatton Star, Ipswich Advertiser, Noosa News, Westernstarnews.com.au, Coolum & North Shore News, Westerntimes.com.au, The Northern Rivers Echo, Stanthorpe Border Post, NewsMail, Lismore Northern Star, Gladstone Observer, Daily Mercury News, Sunshinecoastdaily.com.au, Toowoomba Chronicle, Morning Bulletin, The Daily Examiner, Queensland Times, Warwick Daily News, Gympie Times, Fraser Coast Chronicle, Coffs Coast Advocate, Brisbane Courier-Mail). 14 August 2018.
- The National. Rethinking the word ‘cancer’: Study calls for low risk forms of disease to be renamed. 14 August 2018.
- The Courier Mail. Researchers want doctors to drop the c-word in regards to low-risk cancers. 14 August. 2018.
- RACGP News. Give patients the full truth on cancer: RACGP President-elect. 14 August 2018.
- ABC News TV – interview with Alex Barratt. 13 August 2018.
- ABC Radio 702 with Richard Glover – interview with Alex Barratt. 13 August 2018.
- Other radio (2GB Sydney, 3AW Melbourne, 4BC Brisbane, 5AA Adelaide, 2CC Canberra, 2SM Sydney, Perth Mix, Smooth FM, Hot 100 Darwin, Hope 103.2, New Zealand Radio Live Drive, Curtin FM, TR FM Traralgon, 98.5 Sunshine FM, Power FM Illawarra, Star FM Erina, Mix 92.7 Sunshine Coast, Max FM Taree, 2MCE Orange, Wave FM Wollongong and 2BH Broken Hill) – interview with Brooke Nickel. 13 August 2018.
- ABC Radio (The World Today, NewsRadio, Sydney, Brisbane, Perth, Northern Tasmania, Adelaide, Port Pirie, North and West SA) – interview with Brooke Nickel. Study calls to take caution when using the term ‘cancer’. 13 August 2018.
- ABC News. Drop ‘cancer’ label from low-risk diagnoses to avoid frightening patients, researchers say. 13 August 2018.
- The Guardian. Doctors should avoid saying cancer for minor lesions – study. 13 August 2018.
- The Sydney Morning Herald Online. Drop ‘cancer’ cancer label to protect patients from overtreatment, researchers say. 13 August 2018.
- The Sydney Morning Herald (*front page story). Push for cancer diagnosis overhaul. 13 August 2018.
- The Conversation. Is it time to remove the cancer label from low-risk conditions? 13 August 2018.